SAFETY: OUR #1 PRIORITY
Volunteer safety has always been our absolute priority. Our history and attention to detail sets us apart from other international volunteer organization. We exceed the requirements set by the International Volunteer Programs Association (IVPA) and have an impeccable safety record over 22 years of operations that has hosted more than 100,000 volunteers.
Squads stay in our home-base lodging facilities not open to outside guests. All meals are provided by our trained cooks which provide wholesome and authentic local cuisine. We accommodate any dietary restrictions or allergies and provide unlimited safe drinking water. Our home-bases are staffed by a night watch guard and volunteers are provided with lockers to safeguard valuables.
Volunteers are covered under our comprehensive Core Travel Medical and Evacuation Insurance. Additionally, schools can request to be added to our General Liability Policy for up to $5 million in coverage.
Food, Water, Your Home-Base
- Fresh food prepared by Squads Abroad Cooks who are trained in food safety and prepared to meet dietary restrictions and preferences
- Unlimited, safe drinking water
- Gender-separated rooms
- Lockers provided to safeguard belongings
- Security guard on duty
- Smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, and at least 2 fully stocked first aid kits in every Home-Base
A Strong Foundation
Expertly Trained Local Staff
- In-country Directors with an average of 10 years of experience
- 1 Squads Abroad staff person for every 10 volunteers in addition to the teacher-chaperones
- Experienced full-time staff from the local community with background checks
- CPR-certified and first aid-qualified staff members
- Continuous training and professional development
- Ex-pat North American staff members on each local team
Important Provisions & Protocol
- Travel medical and evacuation insurance provided
- Full in-country orientation, including safety training
- Secure and confidential data systems to protect volunteer information
- Emergency protocol and safety standards that are consistently reviewed
Secure, Easy Transportation
- All in-country transportation provided with vetted experienced drivers
- All vehicles equipped with seat belts and first aid kits
- Vehicles inspected and replaced regularly
A Quote from Askari International Security about Squads Abroad's Parent Organization Global Brigades
I was asked to review Global Brigades safety and security procedures for their operations in Central America. I always use a “litmus test” by assessing whether I’d be happy to send my own daughters (late teens early 20’s) on one of their events. The answer was a resounding yes. I hope I was able to help them improve their processes and procedures, but what was already in place was good, but better still was the culture of safety and security. All the staff were concerned with safety and security and keen to improve. Nothing can ever be 100% secure or safe, but with Global Brigades I can genuinely say they care and take things very seriously.